Wednesday, January 9, 2013

WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?

Julie celebrates the arrival of the new TurboTax Instructions

During the many decades that I worked at a full-time job to provide for my large family, I remember having often wondered why Monday morning had to so closely follow after Sunday night each week. I never did obtain a good positive answer to that question. And now that we have moved quickly past the month of December and on into January, I am facing a similar question that doesn't seem to have a good answer either: why must the joy of Christmas so quickly be replaced with the depressing reality that the tax season has arrived.

Most people I know shudder and even groan at the thought of having to gather together the receipts, forms, and other types of documentation that must be assembled and organized before those many calculations begin and the number crunching occurs that will ultimately result in the submission of one's annual personal income tax to the government.

As a birthday present this year Sister Lindsay and I gave our daughter, Julie, a copy of the new 2012 TurboTax software program. The expression on Julie's face in the photograph might cause you to ask, "What's wrong with this picture?" If we had given such a present to anyone else, the reaction would be about the same as receiving socks or underwear from your grandparents at Christmas time; but as you can readily see, Julie was thrilled when her present arrived at her home this week.

Julie has a passion for math and really loves working with numbers. Through the years she has graciously helped us figure out our federal and state taxes and really enjoys doing it. This act of kindness on her part is much appreciated by us and saves considerable time and frustration.

We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
- Winston Churchhill

No comments:

Post a Comment