The Baltimore Ravens are "hands down" fan favorites in this city
Although there are some Pittsburgh Steelers and Washington Redskin supporters living in Charm City, their numbers are small and insignificant in comparison to the majority of sports fans here who are passionate followers of the Baltimore Ravens professional football team. The mood of the residents is altered not only by whether the Ravens win or lose the game but it can also be influenced by the point spread in the final score . . . "They should have beaten the Steelers by three touchdowns instead of just three points!"
The metropolitan area is awash in the color purple every Friday during the football season and again on Sunday or Monday when the Ravens play their games. People wear everything imaginable . . . hats, sweatshirts, pants, jackets, socks, and shoes; and all of these items are a brightly-colored purple! There are Ravens buses, vans, and even custom painted purple automobiles found on the streets of Baltimore. The residents are boldly expressing their loyalty and devotion to their cause of being devout fans of the home team.
While it may be said for some people that their ardent, single focus in following a college or professional sports team is almost a form of religious worship, how does such an unwavering commitment on their part compare to individuals who claim to love Heavenly Father and His Only Begotten Son, Jesus Christ, with all of their heart, might, mind, and strength?
While I'm not advocating that every Christian believer must wear clothing that declares his or her acceptance of the Lord as the Savior of the world, there is room for thought as to what wording might be used on such a garment? Ann M. Dibb, Second Counselor in the Young Women General Presidency of the Church, makes this interesting observation: "What meaningful phrase would I figuratively choose to have printed on my T-shirt reflecting my belief and testimony. In my mind, I considered many possible sayings. Eventually, I came upon an ideal statement I would proudly wear: 'I'm a Mormon. I know it, I live it, I love it.'"
In the New Testament of the Bible the Apostle Paul proclaimed,
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth.
- Romans 1:16
In today's complex and sometimes confusing world there are many activities, interests, and responsibilities competing for our attention every minute of every day. I can assure you that not everything we encounter in this life is worthy of the amount of time and commitment that we give to it. Much of what we see, hear, and read is a distraction that leads us away from those things of eternal significance and value . . . all things being equal, they aren't!
It requires spiritual strength, personal discipline, and a lifetime commitment in order to remain focused on what matters most. It begins with learning and understanding where we came from, why we are here on the earth, and where are we going when we die. Obtaining the answers to these and other questions is the journey of a lifetime requiring diligent and deliberate effort including prayer and scripture study. The importance of gaining knowledge is an eternal principle.
The metropolitan area is awash in the color purple every Friday during the football season and again on Sunday or Monday when the Ravens play their games. People wear everything imaginable . . . hats, sweatshirts, pants, jackets, socks, and shoes; and all of these items are a brightly-colored purple! There are Ravens buses, vans, and even custom painted purple automobiles found on the streets of Baltimore. The residents are boldly expressing their loyalty and devotion to their cause of being devout fans of the home team.
While it may be said for some people that their ardent, single focus in following a college or professional sports team is almost a form of religious worship, how does such an unwavering commitment on their part compare to individuals who claim to love Heavenly Father and His Only Begotten Son, Jesus Christ, with all of their heart, might, mind, and strength?
While I'm not advocating that every Christian believer must wear clothing that declares his or her acceptance of the Lord as the Savior of the world, there is room for thought as to what wording might be used on such a garment? Ann M. Dibb, Second Counselor in the Young Women General Presidency of the Church, makes this interesting observation: "What meaningful phrase would I figuratively choose to have printed on my T-shirt reflecting my belief and testimony. In my mind, I considered many possible sayings. Eventually, I came upon an ideal statement I would proudly wear: 'I'm a Mormon. I know it, I live it, I love it.'"
In the New Testament of the Bible the Apostle Paul proclaimed,
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth.
- Romans 1:16
In today's complex and sometimes confusing world there are many activities, interests, and responsibilities competing for our attention every minute of every day. I can assure you that not everything we encounter in this life is worthy of the amount of time and commitment that we give to it. Much of what we see, hear, and read is a distraction that leads us away from those things of eternal significance and value . . . all things being equal, they aren't!
It requires spiritual strength, personal discipline, and a lifetime commitment in order to remain focused on what matters most. It begins with learning and understanding where we came from, why we are here on the earth, and where are we going when we die. Obtaining the answers to these and other questions is the journey of a lifetime requiring diligent and deliberate effort including prayer and scripture study. The importance of gaining knowledge is an eternal principle.

No comments:
Post a Comment