Sunday, October 23, 2011

THE NINETY & NINE

More than a quarter century ago while traveling by train on a short business trip from Washington, DC to Baltimore, Maryland, I felt impressed to write the words that are reproduced below. Through subsequent years, I have shared this message with a number of people who have been searching for the Lord in their lives.

Now that Sister Lindsay and I have been assigned to work as full time senior missionaries in Baltimore, we have an opportunity each day to seek out those who have become lost along the way. Many of God's children are searching for truth but know not where to find it. Lest we forget, we ourselves have either been or yet may be that one sheep who has become separated from the flock and needs to be rescued. 



           T H E   N I N E T Y   A N D   N I N E

              The Shepherd having ninety-nine
              Sheep safely in the fold
              Will leave them and will seek the one
              That’s lost out in the cold.

              The Shepherd’s known by all His sheep.
              They beckon to His call.
              They know of His unending love,
              Sufficient for them all.

              The flock hath need of all the lambs,
              Each and every one.
              That’s why the Shepherd cares for them;
              His task is never done.

              But what the Scriptures do not say
              About the ninety-nine
              Is that the Shepherd found them all
              Alone, one at a time.

              For each of us has been alone
              Confused or gone astray
              Until we heard the Master’s voice
              And saw Him point the way.

              And which among the ninety-nine
              Would not take comfort in
              The knowledge that the Shepherd seeks
              The one who’s lost in sin?

              So what should we as Christians do
              If we are of His flock
              And find a weary kindred soul
              Alone upon a rock?

              Should we not share the light we have
              And lead souls out of harm;
              So they can hear the Shepherd’s voice
              While leaning on our arm?

              How great shall be your joy with them
              With these sweet spirits choice
              When all together we shall be
              Beside the Master’s voice.

              God grant that in humility,
              I’ll like a shepherd, seek
              The precious souls who search for truth
              Who want to be Christ’s sheep.

                                      A. Norman Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment