Monday, October 17, 2011

MAKE A JOYFUL NOISE . . .

As Sister Lindsay and I have traveled around the countryside during the 44 years we have been members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we have noted that some congregations seem more inclined than others to sing hymns with deep feeling and enthusiasm. At our home ward in Greensboro, North Carolina, over the past twenty-four years we have lived there, most of the members have collectively enjoyed singing as an integral part of the Sunday worship service.

A month ago when we moved to Baltimore as a brand new senior missionary couple and attended our first Church meetings in the Chesapeake Ward, I knew by the end of the first hymn that we were no longer in Carolina. I commented privately to my wife that it did not appear that most of those people who were present in Church really wanted their voices to be heard. In my mind I wondered if there might be some way to encourage folks to learn to enjoy the music more? I don't read music very well; but if I can hear someone else who sings the notes properly, I am usually able to follow them.

By the time the service was over, I decided that Sister Lindsay and I needed to join the choir; and fortunately, my wife didn't disagree. Fortified by her support, I went looking for the choir director to volunteer our services. She laughed when we introduced ourselves and said that we had "already been reported" by another choir member. And just like that, Sister Lindsay and I were officially in the choir.

"Of course," the choir director told us, "there may only be four or five of us when we next sing on the third Sunday in October. We have had a real struggle getting and holding onto choir members." I suggested to her that we will help her build the choir and actively recruit new voices. What I didn't tell her at that time was that involving new people to sing in the choir would be a great tool to further our missionary efforts to bring new converts into the Church as well as encouraging less-active members to become involved in a meaningful activity.

And I sincerely believe that it really doesn't matter how well people can read music; nor is it critical that everyone in the choir have a strong solo-quality voice . . . even if we can only make a joyful noise, it will be an acceptable offering to the Lord. When the choir sang this past Sunday, there were nine of us who lifted up our voices in song.

Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all the earth: make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise.  (Psalm 98:4)

Next month, we will do even better. We have since recruited one of the other full-time missionaries plus a Church investigator to join our little group. The choir is a work in progress; but with the Lord's help we will continue to make our joyful noise while encouraging everyone to sing!

1 comment:

  1. Sing on Norm & Linda! I enjoy reading your blog and seeing what great work you two are doing.

    ReplyDelete