Wednesday, October 10, 2012

CHURCH LOWERS AGE FOR MISSIONARY SERVICE

Young missionary elders at October transfer meeting
 
At the General Conference of the Church this past weekend, President Thomas S. Monson announced a significant change pertaining to the age when young men and women may begin their full time missionary service. "I am pleased to announce that effective immediately all worthy and able young men who have graduated from high school or its equivalent, regardless of where they live, will have the option of being recommended for missionary service beginning at the age of 18, instead of age 19. I am not suggesting that all young men will—or should—serve at this earlier age. Rather, based on individual circumstances as well as upon a determination by priesthood leaders, this option is now available."
 
As members of the Church listened and pondered the impact of his announcement, the prophet continued, "As we have prayerfully pondered the age at which young men may begin their missionary service, we have also given consideration to the age at which a young woman might serve. Today I am pleased to announce that able, worthy young women who have the desire to serve may be recommended for missionary service beginning at age 19, instead of age 21."
 
We received a message from one of our daughters, which included a note from a young sister missionary who is currently at the Church's Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah:  "I wish everybody could have been in the MTC when that announcement was made . . . I'm not sure I have ever felt like I was part of a divinely historic moment before, but on Saturday, I did. When President Monson announced that young men could serve at 18, the room exploded with the spirit and we all gasped and had giant grins on our faces.
 
"Then, as soon as he said they had thought about the sisters as well, it got absolutely silent. It was amazing. NO ONE expected the age requirement for sisters to drop so drastically. But when they said 19 years old, we all stood and cheered. And I don't mean all of us sisters, I mean all 2500 missionaries in the Missionary Training Center."

Lest everyone get carried away in the excitement of the moment, it is essential to remember  that President Monson said that he was not suggesting that all young men (or women) will—or should—serve at this earlier age. Rather, based on individual circumstances as well as upon a determination by priesthood leaders, this option is now available. Having the physical, spiritual, and emotional maturity to handle the rigors of being a full time missionary will most certainly play a major role in determining whether or not individual elders or sisters might begin their missionary service at the younger age.

Our grandson, Jonathan, who is currently serving a full time Spanish-speaking mission in northern Utah was called to serve at age 19 last year shortly before Sister Lindsay and I received our own assignment to serve as senior missionaries in Maryland. His 18-year-old cousin, Spencer, is preparing to serve a mission next year following the completion of his first year of college. We don't expect that his missionary service timetable will be changed by this age modification option.

We also noted that other than asking that more senior couples consider serving full time missions, the Church didn't alter the age when we can serve. SENIOR MISSIONARIES WILL STILL BE JUST AS OLD WHEN THEY ARE CALLED TO SERVE AND OLDER STILL WHEN THEY RETURN HOME FROM THEIR ERRAND FOR THE LORD!

No comments:

Post a Comment