Wednesday, July 18, 2012

A LIBRARY HAS BURNED DOWN!

Someone once astutely suggested that when an old person dies, a library burns down. Knowledge that is acquired line upon line, pondered deeply, and wisely applied over an extended span of years is irreplaceably lost when the repository of that learning is gone from us. I'm sad to report that earlier this month a vast collection of knowledge, wonderfully organized, and expertly catalogued was lost with the death of Catharine Hauver Ahalt, one of the last surviving instructors that Sister Lindsay and I had as a teacher (Latin and history classes) during our high school days back in the early 1960s.

Catharine Hauver Ahalt was a local girl who was born, raised, and married in Myersville, on the western edge of Frederick County Maryland. She lived her entire life in this rural farming community. Her father and grandfather were both teachers, and it seemed natural that she would in turn follow them into the classroom. By the age of nine, Catharine's responsibilities included saddling a horse and riding to town for groceries and the mail. When she was just 16, her mother died; so she became the surrogate mother for her younger siblings while also helping her father in the home and on the farm. She was also riding the trolley into Frederick each day to attend classes at Hood College. Catharine Ahalt was a remarkable high school teacher for 37 years and also served as the postmistress in Myersville during World War II. She passed away on July 7th at the age of 100!

Saint Paul's Lutheran Church in Myersville

Attending the funeral service last weekend brought back a lot of childhood memories of people that I have known and loved who once lived in this quiet village but now rest in the cemeteries behind the Lutheran and Methodist Chuches. What a blessing it has been for me to have been allowed to grow to adulthood in such a peaceful community surrounded by so many wonderful individuals who helped to prepare me for life in a bigger and more complicated world.

Country Church 
 A. Norman Lindsay

Yes, I recall in my home town,
The belfry bells and their sweet sound;
How folks would come from miles around
To this small church to pray.

The steeple white was placed with care
Upon the roof up in the air.
From far away, you’d see it there.
The belfry seemed to sway.

With tiny plaques “In Memory Of,”
The stained glass windows, gifts of love,
Let heaven’s light in from above
How warm the sunlight’s ray.

The choir would practice Wednesday night.
Some sang off key, but that’s all right.
My, how they’d sing with all their might!
Their voices trailed away.

The minister, in robes of black,
His sermon done, would stand in back,
And love these people. That’s a fact.
Warm greetings he would say.

The congregation I knew then
Has gone out back to meet again.
With marble stones placed over them,
They’ve all come here to stay.

I visit them once in a while.
I read their names; and then, I smile.
Each face recalled from memory’s file;
And my love, I convey.

This church was built with loving care,
Constructed both by work and prayer.
May they find peace, who worshipped there,
On resurrection day.

No comments:

Post a Comment