Sunday, April 29, 2012

I WILL SHOW THEE MY FAITH

Serving others can include moving a piano

The wonderful young men and women engaged as full time missionaries for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints find many different ways to serve other people while they are on their 18-24 month errand for the Lord. Their many acts of kindness, which are freely given both to fellow Church members and total strangers alike, are sometimes well-coordinated and planned activities; but on other occasions, they are just spontaneous events based upon someone's immediate need.

Quentin L. Cook of The Quorum of The Twelve Apostles says that there are those who are in tune with the music of faith. These are the people who love the Lord and His gospel and continuously try to live and share His message.

I testify that the sweetness of His message goes far beyond the words that missionaries teach to Heavenly Father's children. True disciples of Christ must also share the good fruit of the gospel by living the doctrine exemplified by loving their neighbor as themselves. So if we give our lives in service one to another, how shall we be judged? According to the Apostle Matthew, A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. (see Matthew 7:18)

Young missionaries have been known to mow lawns, change flat tires, carry groceries, and transport heavy boxes down from attic spaces or up from darkened basements . . . much of the time while dressed in their customary white shirts and ties that they wear when teaching gospel discussions.

In the New Testament of the Bible, James establishes the relationship between one's faith and how he or she demonstrates a full commitment to live the tenets of their expressed religion:

Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works. (James 2:17-18)

It has been noted that helping someone else isn't really service if it doesn't require some sacrifice. A faithful Church member shared this true story during our Sunday school class today: "I felt prompted to come to Church a different way from my normal route even though it would take a few minutes longer. I followed the direction of the Spirit and soon passed by a woman walking to Church (I could tell by the way that she was dressed). I passed her by but almost immediately turned my car around and returned to her."

"Do you need a ride to church," I asked?

"Yes," she replied somewhat out of breath. "I missed my bus this morning." Having been delivered to her place of worship, the lady thanked our Church member for the unexpected ride as she exited the automobile and then asked, "What church do you attend? Perhaps I could go to your church next Sunday."

Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great. (Doctrine and Covenants 64:33)

No comments:

Post a Comment